The future of breeding - dairy cattle and pigs
The Association for Bioeconomy Research (FBF) is a non-profit registered association supporting research projects in the field of animal reproductive biology and genome analysis.
- FBF is the umbrella organisation for Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SME) in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- The members are A.I. and breeding organisations as well as service providers in the dairy and pig sector.
- The aim is the improvement of animal breeding, notably by promoting innovative methods.
- Financing is provided by private funding.
- Choice of research topics by FBF.
FBF makes sure that
- research projects are practically oriented.
- results of projects are available for all members.
- industrial research is implemented by the member organisations.
In cooperation with two reference laboratories FBF has established a semen quality standard. This covers sperm quality monitoring using advanced methods, analysis of semen processing, regular training of A.I. station personnel, and the work according to semen processing guidelines. The products of FBF members who participate in the pig project are characterised by the ZDS label.
For economically important traits there is great interest in better knowing the genetic background. Therefore FBF supports research and development projects in genome analysis.
Animal Reproduction - Issues of research
- Quality management in A.I. centres
- Durability of liquid preserved boar semen
- Survival of sperms after insemination
- Decrease osmotic stress of bull sperm during cryoconservation
Genome Analysis - Issues of research
- Transfer results of functional genomics research in breeding systems
- Metabolic and genomic analyses of milk for dairy cattle health
- Genomic selection
- Genetic markers for resistance to porcine respiratory tract infections